Monday 28 February 2011

Greenshank at Penclacwydd WWT

I made my first ever visit to Penclacwydd WWT today! I've walked the millennium path a few times but, never actually entered the reserve. Having now experienced it I can't wait to go back. I spent my whole time in the British Steel hide and although there were never very large numbers of birds, there was a continual movement of birds to and from the scrape.

5 Greenshank (shown above) were showing on and off throughout the day. Other nice stuff were a fine drake Pintail, 3 Little Egret, 2 Black-tailed Godwit and 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker over the centre.

2 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

A great photo. We were there over the w/e ... but took the paths (inside the WWT boundary) through the Millennium Wetlands. These start by the pond-dipping pond and you might enjoy them, too (with a large hide over the Cockleshell Islands and another hide, too). The Dragon and Damselflies are brilliant here in summer.

Mark Hipkin said...

Thanks Caroline. I'm really hoping to get some good photos of dragonflies and damselflies this summer and a day involving waders and dragonflies seems very appealing to me.